Cheap or not cheap, that's the question......

Antares antares@EURONET.NL
Sun, 14 Dec 97 22:39:09 -0000

Ron Nossaman wrote:

>One thing more about
>manufacturers though. To a lot of manufacturers, one nationally, or
>internationally, prominent name equals roughly five hundred rank and file
>techs. The little guy has no credentials, and therefor no credibility. Being
>right is of less value than being known. It often takes many years and many
>similar complaints to a manufacturer to get them to look into production
>problems. Those that are actually concerned about the quality of their
>product will look into it and, depending on the problem, attempt to correct,
>circumvent, or ignore it. If it's a materials, or procedural problem, they
>will probably fix it. If it's a design problem/feature, you probably won't
>get anywhere. In all cases, it's worth a try. If we bombard manufacturers
>with bug reports and customer complaints as well as our own highly
>intelligent and constructive suggestions, the overall situation may improve
>somewhat. A conscientious manufacturer really does want to be informed about
>production problems so he can fix them before he has ten thousand units out
>there with a problem that could have been easily fixed on the production
>line.

Antares writes:

I agree about what you said in the above.
I do freelance work for a major piano factory and I am always glad to notice that they are willing to listen to complaints about occurring irregularities in their production.
Design is another case, but I have nothing to say about that because I like the way they design their instruments.
However, I can imagine that an important group like the ones on the pianotech List might have a certain influential power in helping to create a "better piano".
I think that we as subscribers should not underestimate our combined power of knowledge and experience.
Pianomanufacturers (if any looks into our conversations, and I know they do) should therefore not feel negative when there products are discussed.
Our exchanges of experience and knowledge are gratis and helping remarks !

Friendly greetings from :

CONCERT PIANO SERVICE
André Oorebeek
Amsterdam, the Netherlands