Chickering found to be Haddorff

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Sun, 14 Dec 1997 21:56:56 -0800 (PST)

At 08:54 PM 12/14/97 -0800, you wrote:
>List,
>    A few weeks ago I presented a piano marked Chickering on the fallboard
>but suspiciously not looking like a Chickering anywhere else.  I was sure we
>had a bit of fraud going on.  Now, after searching the patent date, it
>appears we have a Haddorff grand, 1929.  I have serviced a few, but not a
>lot of these pianos.  My impression has always been that they were very well
>made.  Does anyone else (Les Smith?) have some more info about them.  My
>client would like to know what sort of quality instrument they now possess,
>since it is not what they thought originally. Thanks to those who gave input
>on Chickerings in the first go round.
>Jeannie Grassi, RPT
>Bainbridge Island, WA
>jgrassi@silverlink.net

Hi, Jeannie

The piano I grew up with was a Haddorff spinet, one of a pair my
grandparents bought for my mother and aunt when they both were married in
1941. They were  pretty pianos, if small, and well built as such things go.
Ivory keytops, elaborate cases. They were made in Rockford, Illinois, which
is where my mother and aunt grew up.

I've worked on a few Haddorff large uprights, and one grand. I liked them.
Les? Could you say more?

Yours,

Susan

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370
skline@proaxis.com

"I'm glad that there are at least some things somewhere that I don't have to
do today."
			-- Ashleigh Brilliant