Spell check-use it!

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Sun, 14 Dec 1997 21:56:58 -0800 (PST)

At 10:53 PM 12/14/97 EST, you wrote:
>Hi list,
>
>At the risk of disturbing  a sleeping dog , does it bother anyone else to see
>all the bad spelling that goes on-line?  Sometimes we get caught up in the
>frenzy of the discussion at hand, that we forget to use spell check.  Am I the
>only one that is driven crazy by this?  BTW, this isn't a dig at any one
>person or topic.  I don't mean for any one to be offended by this.

Hi --

I'm afraid this dog is a little long in the tooth, and needs its sleep. I've
acquired an unsavory reputation as a Spelling Gorgon by talking about this
issue once or twice.

One problem is that we come from all over the world (many non-native
writers), and we have very different backgrounds. Another is that some of
our email software (mine, for instance) doesn't have a spell-checker.

As long as I can figure out what people mean, that's good enough. My own
posts I reread twice, and consult the dictionary and Merle Mason's book of
piano nomenclature. So far, people have been fairly tolerant of my excessive
correctness, maybe because some mistakes slip through anyway.

Yours,

Susan

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370
skline@proaxis.com

"I'm glad that there are at least some things somewhere that I don't have to
do today."
			-- Ashleigh Brilliant