dissenting on compression

Sun, 14 Dec 1997 22:38:52 -0800

Stephen Birkett wrote:

> (snip)....How about the boards that are crowned by some combination of the two methods?....(snip)

> Stephen
>
> Stephen Birkett Fortepianos
> Authentic Reproductions of 18th and 19th Century Pianos
> 464 Winchester Drive
> Waterloo, Ontario
> Canada N2T 1K5
> tel: 519-885-2228
> email: birketts@wright.aps.uoguelph.ca

Stephen,

As I've repeatedly said, this is one way -- perhaps the best way -- to alleviate the problem. And, yes of course, there is
some crossover. The further away from the pure compression-crowned soundboard design, the less problematic it will be in
terms of wood fiber failure due to excessive internal compression and the more stable and long lasting will be the design
crown.

Del