Dampp-Chaser letter to Wm. Scherer

Gayle Mair damppchasr@brinet.com
Mon, 15 Dec 1997 12:18:28 -0500

Dear Wallace:

	Thank you for your input and giving me the opportunity to provide
Dampp-Chaser's point of view.

	First, we can do anything (well almost anything).  We can build whatever
product technicians want.  I believe we usually do.  The vast majority of
our new product ideas come from technicians.

	Yes we can build a humidistat that has a "dead band" built into its
circuitry.  As a matter of fact we have built several.  By "dead band" I
mean an area within the relative humidity scale where nothing happens.
Neither the humidifier nor the dehumidifier are on.  We go through the
design and cost engineering of this type of unit every year or so to see
what has changed since the previous look, both from a component development
point of view and a cost stand point.  Each evaluation to date has yielded
a humidistat cost of more than twice that of our current unit.  The costs
are coming down however.  By way of background, our electronics engineer is
Keith Howell, one of the top design and engineering minds in the country.
Keith is retired from GE and is one of a team of 3 engineers responsible
for developing the Triac.

	The above implies that our quest is to provide "dead band".  Nothing could
be further from the truth. "Dead band" is a by product.  It may be
desirable, but if it is, it is only marginally so.  Actually what we are
looking for is a switch with a reduced differential.  This would be a plus
in our humidor and printer case systems (at least a perceived benefit).
I'm not sure that it would be of any great benefit in the piano
application, but if we could do it for essentially no additional cost (or
very small additional cost) we would.

	At any rate, most technicians and their customers don't want to pay any
more for the product than they are right now.  As a result, we watch our
costs very closely and do everything we can to reduce them.  We try very
hard not to increase prices.  Now, herein lies the problem.  In order for
us to significantly change the product and correspondingly, the cost of the
product, there has to be general acceptance by consuming technicians that
the improvement warrants the price increase.  I honestly don't get that
response to this situation.  I'm all ears however.  If a significant number
of you folks say you think creating a "dead band" or small differential is
worth a 30% increase in the cost of the system, we sure will consider it
further.

	Let me add a further consideration, and that is the sensor used is similar
to that used in the small electronic hygrometers.  I'm told that over a
period of time a film develops on the sensor face, and it becomes
inaccurate.  By comparison we get H1 humidistats back for testing that are
as accurate now as the day they were manufactured.  We stopped
manufacturing the H1 ten years ago.

	I know I've gone further in this discussion than the timer you suggested.
It seemed to me though that if we were going to add the cost of a timer we
might as well go to the electronic unit to produce a dead band and smaller
differential; i.e. do the job completely.  It's also possible that this
creation would not be anymore expensive than the timer addition.
Everything considered it might even be less expensive.

	On the face of it, there is nothing I'd like more than to provide the
piano owner  knowledge of when the humidifier is on, and when the
dehumidifier is on.  With all due respect though, I don't want to answer
all the phone calls we will get that go, "it's raining outside, and the
humidifier in my piano is on.  It shouldn't be on".  You would be surprised
at how many phone calls I get now that ask essentially this question.  I
don't mind answering, but it does take time.  Actually, from my experience,
technicians and piano owners are interested in the result; is the piano
stable, rather than how it got there or what the humidity control system is
doing.  Certainly this is true after the novelty of  system wears off.

	Frank Leister used the phrase, "it seems like the system is fighting
itself."  Many systems in our everyday world cycle.  Some because they are
driven in both directions; some because they are driven in one direction
and are allowed drift back in the other direction.  The Dampp-Chaser system
happens to be driven in both directions.  I don't think that's particularly
unusual.  To me the system would be fighting itself if both the humidifier
and dehumidifier were on at the same time.  Then it would be a contest to
see which part of the system wins.

	In summary, I've made the following points:

	1)	Cycling isn't unusual.  It's o.k.  It's not really fighting.
	2)	We look at creating a humidistat with reduced differential (and
therefore dead band) every so often and continue to come to the conclusion
it's not worth the expense.  Further, there is question as to its
acceptance based on price by technicians.  There is also the question of
its long term reliability.
	3)	The addition of light signals to describe what is happening within the
piano is neat for technically oriented people, but is it worth it for most
technicians and piano owners?

	You have my thanks for responding to my post to Frank Leister.  It takes
all kinds of feedback to get a complete picture.  Please continue to write
in the future.

Sincerely,

Bob Mair

cc:	Mike Mohr