Sprglue on grd hammers

Lance Lafargue lafargue@iAmerica.net
Wed, 17 Dec 1997 22:10:46 -0600

This week I picked up a 1920 Steinway action for hammer reshaping, new
dampers, regulation, etc.  The shanks and flanges were original, but in the
50's it had been restrung and new Steinway hammers put on by a Steinway
dealer in L.A.  The hammers (about 10?) were clicking from bad glue joints.
 I am anticipating future problems with this as well.  I popped a few off
and reglued, but then, for the others not yet clicking, I decided to put a
few drops of thin super glue on both sides (tail and glue collar) to help
hold what was there.  My reasoning was that the hammer and whippen flanges
had verdigris that was getting to the point of concern and that since the
hammers were heavily worn and low on felt, the hammers, shanks, flanges and
whippens would all be replaced in five years anyway.  I'll do what I can
for the short term and replace later.  The player is a good University
accompanist and plays it a lot.  I filed the hammers, applied Protek to the
flanges, did some repinning, replaced the dampers, rebushed keys, and
thoroughly regulated the action.
QUESTION:  Did the super glue do any good?  Is there a problem with doing
this?? Is there a better proven way to stop clicking like this w/out taking
the hammers completely off?

Lance Lafargue, RPT
New Orleans Chapter
Covington, LA.