Everett vertical pinblock separation

DGPEAKE DGPEAKE@aol.com
Wed, 17 Dec 1997 23:11:11 EST

<<
 Regarding letting the tension down...
 I found a Kimball upright with the plate separating from the back.  I
 drilled through the
 plate screw holes all the way out the back, and put bolts and nuts to clamp
 it all together.  I didn't reduce tension further because the whole thing
 was over 100cts flat
 to begin with, probably because of the plate separation.  I did it carefully
 though, because of ADDING the new tension when tightening it up.    This
 isn't really a crack repair requiring adhesive, so I didn't add anything to
 the mix, just better 'clamps' than the original lag screws.

 Brad Smith, RPT
 Manchester, NH
 - >>
Brad,

This happened to me as well. When I clamped the pinblock back together, the
piano raised to A-440!  A fast pitch raise.

In another circumstance, I found a piano a whole tone flat.  I check
everything, the bearing, plate bolts, etc., and proceeded to tune.  I was able
to get it tuned to A-440, and came back in 3 months to tune it again.  I then
noticed the pinblock leaning towards me.  I did not tune this time. My client
did not blame me, was very understanding because he wanted me to tune it at
his own risk.  I explained what I would have to do and he listened very well.
So well that he called me later and said he went ahead and did the repair and
said it needed tuning.  I found it piano a whole tone sharp!  Plus the dampers
out of regulation.  Surprisingly, no strings broke when he did the job.  I
sure broke a couple when I did the first tuning!  Go figure.

I learned my lesson.  Do not explain too much to the client.  He or she may
decide to rebuild the piano on their own.

Dave Peake, RPT
Portland, OR