Warranty

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Thu, 18 Dec 1997 10:14:59 +0000

Hi David,
     IMHO your asking for trouble on this one.  I woundn't draw
attention to the possibility of cracks as it will only worry your
customer. Ignorance is often bliss. So what if it does crack? it won't
be the end of the piano, or likely even make any real difference to the
tone.  Around here, Michigan,  most pianos crack from about 5 yrs-30yrs
old and they don't die because of it. 18 years sounds just about average
and a change of environment or harsh move could do it.  Be careful,
unless you are really good at shimming or don't mind replacing a
soundboard.
     I once bought a used car and soon discovered a transmission
problem. Mechanic said "headed for big problems and might last a week if
you go easy on it." would cost $1600. If you stepped on the gas hard, it
would just go out of gear when cold.  Heartsick, I pampered it  worried
and worried, for sixty thousand miles and never fixed it and it never
got any worse.  When it got really old, I didn't care anymore so I
abused with hard driving and heavy loads. Still nothing happened. People
worry too much about cracks.
-Mike Jorgensen RPT