Sprglue on grd hammers

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Thu, 18 Dec 1997 08:57:33 -0800 (PST)

At 07:36 AM 12/18/97 -0600, you wrote:
>I wonder what the results would be if a drop of water, baking soda, or
>carefully directed steam applied before the glue would do as an
>accelerator.
>Lance Lafargue, RPT
>New Orleans Chapter
>Covington, LA.
>lafargue@iamerica.net

Dear Lance,

I would be afraid that the glue would set up before you could position the
hammer. If you think you need an accelerant, you can either spray the
kicker, or breathe on the joint (yes! crazy, isn't it?) or take Ed Foote's
suggestion to lick your thumb and rub it across the back of the hammer where
the shank comes through.

I think you may not need much acceleration, though. In a climate as damp as
yours the CA glue should set up just fine. The dryness of a New England
winter might be a different story.

Sincerely,

Susan

>----------
>> From: Jon Page <jpage@capecod.net>
>> To: pianotech@ptg.org
>> Subject: Re: Sprglue on grd hammers
>> Date: Thursday, December 18, 1997 6:49 AM
>>
>> It is adviseable to apply accelerator before applying the CA glue.
>>
>> CA is drawn into a joint and wicks into the wood away from the
>> joint. The accelerator causes the CA to set up in the joint. A follow up
>> application of accelerator strengthens the bond, I've been told.
>>
>> Jon Page

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370
skline@proaxis.com

"I'm glad that there are at least some things somewhere that I don't have to
do today."
			-- Ashleigh Brilliant