Chickering parts/future/OFF TOPIC

Guy, Karen, and Tor Nichols nicho@lascruces.com
Fri, 19 Dec 1997 10:02:58 -0700

At 02:12 PM 12/18/97 -0500, you wrote:

>On Thu, 18 Dec 1997, Jeannie Grassi wrote:
>
>> Hi Dave,
>>     Baldwin now makes a Chickering grand, but the lyre does not resemble
>> anything you might find on a 1950's Chickering.
>>
>To finish the comparison, one must also note that NOTHING on a 50's Chick-
>ing remotely resembled ANYTHING on an original Chickering Chickering.
>Likewise, with regards to Baldwin "Chickerings", Joseph Hale (Ever heard
>of a "Hale" brand tuning hammer or other tool?), credited as the inventor
>of the oft-decried "stencil" piano, would be delighted to know that his
>sleazy marketing ploy is still flouishing today. Stecks and Knabes made
>by Young-Chang, for crying out loud? What a sick joke! How far away are
>we from a Chinese-built Steinway? Some questions are better left unasked
>and unanswered.
>
>Anyone out there remember the old sci-fi short story "THE CHOICE"? A man
>invents a time machine and travels to the future, taking with himself a
>camera, a tape recorder and a note book. When he returns, he is asked why
>he took no pictures, recorded no sounds and made no notes. His reply? I
>have seen the future and was given a choice as to whether or not I wanted
>to remember it. I chose not to.
>
>Les Smith
>lessmith@buffnet.net

Les,
	Ah...yup. I remember something kinda like that one.

	How about this newspaper quote:

	"The world is too big for us, too much is going on, too many crimes, too
much violence and excitement.  Try as you will, you get behind in the race
in spite of yourself.  It's a constant strain to keep pace... and still,
you lose ground.  Science empties its discovories on you so fast you
stagger beneath them in hopeless bewilderment.  The political world is news
seen rapidly, you're out of breath trying to keep pace with who's in and
who's out.  Everything is high pressure.  Human nature can't endure much
more."

from The Atlantic Journal...... JUNE 16, 1883

Guy

 Anyone Without a Sense of Humor Is At The Mercy of The Rest of Us.