Sprglue on grd hammers

JElving JElving@aol.com
Fri, 19 Dec 1997 12:08:11 EST

<< It is adviseable to apply accelerator before applying the CA glue.

 CA is drawn into a joint and wicks into the wood away from the
 joint. The accelerator causes the CA to set up in the joint. A follow up
 application of accelerator strengthens the bond, I've been told.

Why use the thin CA if you think it will wick too much. The medium viscosity
CA is gap-filling, and allows you a little extra time if you need to move
things around a little to line up the parts. I have found that the medium CA
also can leave a nice collar, if you feel you want one. Most of what I need CA
for is filled quite nicely by the medium. And it works VERY nicely on the
upright jack flange to wippen joint. (Heck, I know one technician that
installs all full sets of keytops with CA!)

My feeling on the accelerator is that it makes the glue too brittle. Moisture
from our mouth/breath/whatever works as well, and doesn't leave the white
residue that the accelerator does.

And if you need to take a joint apart (i.e. hammer head off of shank) a little
acetone (nail poish remover has oils in it) works wonders!

John Elving, RPT
San Leandro, CA
JElving@aol.com