out of tune Wurlitzer

robert moffatt piano service moffattr@cadvision.com
Fri, 19 Dec 1997 15:47:10 -0700

Delwin D Fandrich wrote:
> With all due respect to Hal Lyne, soundboards with that style of rib installation are no less prone to loss of crown than are
> any other. The practice of notching the soundboard liner and insetting the rib to the notch is simply insurance against glue
> failure. That the industry still insists on promoting -- and even featuring -- this practice as gospel has as much to say
> about its worship of tradition as it does about its general lack of understanding about how soundboard systems actually work.

> The practice does, of course, demand good gluing practices. Practices Wurlitzer had only a loose acquaintance with. I once
> purchased an unstrung back assembly from Wurlitzer for some experiments. I got really busy just after receiving it and didn't
> get to it for a couple of years. By then the back assembly was already showing signs of disintegration. Glue joints were
> already failing, and the back hadn't even been strung yet.
>
> -- ddf

Thanks for the input!  If you are correct in that it is the quality of
the glue joints on the ribs that makes the difference, then your final
paragraph affirms Hal's observation.  That is, the Wurlitzer's inability
to hold a tuning is due to a failure of the soundboard's construction.

I've not read anything on the 'net about a follow up on this particular
problem.  Any news?

BTW, this is a fine addendum to my education.  Keep the good stuff
coming!

					Scott Pickett