Prying - was Re: Everett vertical pinblock separation

Maxpiano Maxpiano@aol.com
Fri, 19 Dec 1997 23:40:45 EST

<<
 Just be aware of what you're possibly getting invloved with here. As
 "Buck" Staghorn says: "Watch where you step!"

Les-

Thanks for the warning.  I do restore players and was prepared to reject this
job if the player action was not a Standard.  The most difficult restoration I
have ever tackled was a Krell, for an attorney, who fortunately did not have a
mind to sue when it turned out to need pumping like mad; and I knew that
Harvard sometimes used Krell actions.

<<
No offense meant,  Bill, but it sounds like you haven't seen a whole lot
of neglected vintage players. 400 cents flat, a major third down, is not
at all uncommon for such an instrument. In recent years I've seen
several that were down more than 700 cents--a perfect fifth--which were
suffering not from structural damage, but just gross neglect.>>

No offense taken.  Here in South Carolina we have a glut of gutted players and
mirror jobs that are 100 cents low from having been put back into service in
the '50's after the players stopped working, and not being completely
neglected.  So your observation sheds hopeful light -- but I will tread with
caution.

Bill Maxim