Powder Post Beetles

THEOFONE THEOFONE@aol.com
Sun, 21 Dec 1997 20:49:25 EST

Dear Mr Grebe
             as to my recollection, a dealer, some years back, had a piano
with these pesky little creatures in it.  Sprayed everything into it , even
injected  chloridane into the holes,,,, didnt work. As I heard it, the piano
had to be put into a tent and gassed!!
Apparantly the bugs eat AWAYfrom the poison and it does not affect them too
much.
Anyway the gas has a corrosive atmosphere and creates a lot of string breakage
problems and pinning problems. This situation needs corrected because of the
potential damage to the home. They eat fairly fast and can do a lot of damage
in short order. I have seen a house tented on TV to get rid of termites and it
becomes expensive. About $4000 to do a house. Susan mentioned freezing. This
may be a way to kill the insects, but if they can go into suspended animation
like hornets and voila, you have them back when it thaws out. You are in a
real predicament.
 Dont get any of the things on YOU and DONT take any home!!! GOOD LUCK!!!!!!
                                                           Theodore Mamel RPT
                                                            Pittsburgh Chapter