Metalic Buzz

Terry Beckingham Terry_Beckingham@mbnet.mb.ca
Mon, 22 Dec 1997 10:27:51 -0600 (CST)

Jim,

There was one caster that wasn't touching the floor. I put a shim under it,
but it made no difference. The bass bridge is not touching the plate.

Bob,

I have checked for side bearing. There is sufficient side bearing.

Jon,

Twist is in the direction of the winding (clockwise in the northern
hemisphere 8-). Side bearing...yup. These are the same bass strings that
came off the piano before I did the repairs. They didn't buzz before.

Ron,

Damper lift rod brackets were re-bushed. Action brackets are sitting firmly
on the posts. Not so dumb Ron. I worked on a piano a couple of weeks ago
where someone had attempted to level the keys by lowering the action posts
so that the action rested heavily on the back of the keys. Action brackets
were 1/8 to 1/4 inch above the posts.

Newton,

I had already let down the tension, removed the string from the bridge,
replaced it and brought it back up to pitch.

The noise is loudest right at the bass bridge. This could be because this is
where the string transfers its energey to the soundboard. I have scoured
every nook and cranny with a coat hangar wire and looking with a mirror and
light. I can't see anything. I thoroughly vacuumed the soundboard and pin
block areas before putting the plate back in. I'll keep on looking.

Thanks to you all for your replies. Hope you all have a wonderful holiday
season.

Terry

Terry Beckingham
Piano Technician