Two questions

Warren Fisher fish@communique.net
Wed, 24 Dec 1997 22:08:19 -0800

Frank, the best way to move a piano in my opinion is an open trailer not
a closed one.  Most have side rails about 2-1/2' tall which is perfect
for strapping down both uprights and grands on skids. Also it is much
safer because the most dangerous part of the move is when you are
rocking the piano either off the bed on to the ramp or the same place
going the other way.  If a piano is going to be dropped anywhere, it's
there.  If that sound like the voice of experience, you got it.  600lb
upright darn near landed on my foot!  Fortunately I owned it. Loaded it
back up and pushed it off at the nearest dump!

The reason it is safer with an open trailer is that you don't have to
crouch over if you are the one on the back of the piano and the people
on the ground can reach over the side of the trailer to steady it.

Another thing I like about trailers in general is that if you back it up
to the driveway so that the wheels stay in the gutter rather than
running up on the driveway you get a situation where the tailgate of the
trailer is about 4" off the concrete which makes it a snap to get off
whether you have a ramp or not.

Talking about ramps.  Get one!  A seven foot ramp costs about $140 and
is worth its weight in gold!  Many people will let you back right up to
their door.  You just stick the ramp between the tailgate and their
porch or front door and roll it right in on a piano dolly.  Down in our
area, many old houses have 10 to 15 steps to the main floor (which is
really the second floor)!

Many people won't consider an open trailer because of the chance of
rain. We made a series of hoops of electrical conduit that fit into
u-brackets on the side of the trailer.  We rented the conduit bender
from a rent-all place.  A specially made tarp fits over everything and
I've never gotten a drop on anything!   The piano has its own moving
cover that is padded and waterproof.  I had hand openings sewed into
strategic areas so you can reach the lift points on each end.

I've rented several closed trailers from U-Haul and various other the
places and you have to get a really big trailer to have a tailgate
opening tall enough to accommodate a grand on a skid, particularly if
there is very much angle between the ramp and the trailer bed.  You'll
catch the upper cheek on the top every time!

So when you get a trailer tall enough to use, it's like towing a
vertical barn door behind you on the highway.  Mileage goes down the
tubes!  Not the least of which is the crosswind hazard in which a quick
strong gust can literally blow you off the highway if you don't have 60%
of the weight in front of the trailer center line!  With an open trailer
you won't even know it's back there unless you happen to look in your
mirror occasionally!  A recommended procedure!  With a piano in an open
trailer, you know instantly if your straps come loose rather than
finding out when you get to your destination.

Finally, with an open trailer, you can haul your ATV and all your
hunting gear up into the woods to chase Bambi!

Merry Christmas everyone!

Warren

--
Home of the Humor List