What is "Flagpoling?"

Guy, Karen, and Tor Nichols nicho@lascruces.com
Fri, 26 Dec 1997 15:43:34 -0700

Glenn,
	Nice pictures! Well done. Is that a window? Uh...... should we call the
piano police?

	The veneer is mahogany. If you notice, the desk ends and inside the rim
are a ribbon (or African) type, with lots of iridescences. In other words,
the black changes to gold (or red) and the gold changes to black, when you
look at it from two different sides, perpendicular to the grain. That's
caused by the little holes, you know. The outside of the rim and the music
rest look more like a Honduran mahogany, with the veneer cut more on the
half-sawn, than quarter-sawn like the ribbon. Manufacturers were switching
to the Honduran when the forests were almost wiped out in the thirties.
Both varieties are making a comeback.
	You can turn an awful/deep-stained/bleeding/maroon old grand or upright to
a nice medium brown by staining it green. Really. Just be sure to test!

Happy Solstice, etc.,

Guy