Two questions

Fri, 26 Dec 1997 15:12:02 -0800

Frank Weston wrote:

> List,
>
> 1.  Can anyone recommend a source for stamps for plate serial numbers?
>
> 2.  I am not generally in the piano moving business, but on reviewing my
> records for the past two years, I have discovered that in the course of
> repairs/restorations etc. I have done over 30 moves, each one in a rented
> truck.  The cost adds up, and I am considering alternatives.  One
> alternative is a large enclosed trailer.   Can anyone recommend a
> particular type of trailer?  What are the pros and cons of using a trailer
> for piano moves?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Frank Weston

------------------------

I've been using an enclosed 6' x 12' Wells Cargo trailer for about eight years now. It is about half the weight of the
typical U-Haul of the same size which saves considerable wear and tear on the tow vehicle. It is water tight and easy to use.
It tows very well, especially considering its size. In general, it works quite well, but...

Were I doing it over again I would get the 5' x 12'  which is still long enough to hold a 9' grand -- the extra length is
useful for the working space it gives you -- but with a bit less weight and wind resistance. Also, I'd recommend the
wind-reducing bubble for the front of the trailer. You'll get better gas mileage. I would also order it with a taller door.
It can get a bit tricky loading a large grand. We've evolved techniques that work, but a taller door would make life easier.
I'd also get the heavy steel commercial tie down strips along both walls -- you can easily move two pianos at one time with
this trailer -- along with straps to match. Nothing beats the knowledge that your piano is FIRMLY tied down. We made our own
ramp out of plywood with a couple of maple stiffeners. Fairly inexpensive and quite durable, though a bit heavy. You'll want
brakes on the trailer. Mine are electric, but I'll not recommend a controller. I'm getting ready to replace the one I have.
Shop around -- check with the RV dealers -- for a compact and reliable unit. I would also get it with a couple of interior
lights. Very helpful on dark and stormy evenings.

-- ddf