Serial Number Stamps

Glen_Deligdisch@sil.org Glen_Deligdisch@sil.org
Fri, 26 Dec 1997 21:35 -0500 (EST)

     Dear Frank, Delwin and others.

     You wrote:

     <snip>

     1.  Can anyone recommend a source for stamps for plate serial numbers?

     <snip>
                and
     <snip>

     I would also like to find a source for a stamp -- and an appropriate
     ink -- to use for plate serial numbers. Dry transfer lettering is
     often a pain in the neck. If you come up with something, pass it on.

     <snip>

     I don't know about a stamp and ink but I do know something about vinyl
     letters and numbers.  They are very professional looking.  Custom jobs
     are the norm.  The serial numbers for pianos would be an easy job and
     probably not very expensive either.

     You would be able to choose whatever font or size you want.
     Basically, anything that can be created on the computer is
     reproducible.  You can choose colors as well, ie. black numbers on
     white, or black on gold, or other more exotic combinations.  You can
     choose the numbers to be cut individually or you can have them laid
     out for proper spacing and alignment as one big "stamp".

     Application is easy, peel off the backing covering the adhesive, place
     the center of the serial number patch in place and press home, then
     peel the cover sheet off.  Will stick to most surfaces.

     You don't have to worry about them coming off either.  We use this
     technology again in the aviation industry with lettering like this,
     (but much bigger, 15 inches tall), staying in place with wind and rain
     impact at many hundreds of miles an hour.  A razor blade and some
     acetone are great for quick removal.

     This may not be what you are looking for, but I thought I would throw
     it out as an idea for you to kick around.  Maybe you would like it?

     If anyone would like more details, I am willing to get them.  If there
     is interest, it will take me a few days to collect the information.
     Let me know.

     Glen

     Glen and Ruth Deligdisch
     P.O. Box 248