Mylar

Sat, 27 Dec 1997 08:59:48 -0800

Frank Weston wrote:

> Glen asks:  What is Mylar and where can one buy some?
>
> Mylar is a Dupont tradename for a plastic film which comes in thicknesses
> of up to 14 mil, with standard sizes being 3 mil, 7 mil, and 14 mil in
> various lengths and widths.  Any vendor who specializes in plastics should
> be able to get it for you.  Nationwide a company called Larid Plastics
> carries it, but you will probably have to order a 100 foot roll.  Their 800
> number is 873-8405.  You might also try Mill & Marine Supply at (334)
> 666-0343.  Drafting and art supply houses carry Mylar in thinner sheets,
> but most of this is unsuitable for pattern making.  Mylar is also used in a
> lot of high-performance sails, and in sail-makers patterns, so if you live
> near a sail loft you may be able to pick up small quantities.
>
> 7mil thickness is probably best for making patterns.  14 mil is pretty
> tough but more durable, and the thinner stuff tears a little too easily for
> long term use.
>
> Frank Weston

I might add, mylar is the more expensive variety of drafting film, and for good reason. It's tougher, by far. Other varieties
tend to tear rather easily. The type we use is matte one side. It's designed to be drawn and written on with both pencil and
ink, but is still translucent enough to see through. At least enough for our purposes.

No matter what type of plastic film you get, there is going to be some tendency to tear if you go poking holes through it. So
don't. Melt them through with a pencil point soldering iron. Visit your friendly Radio Shack. The one you want is very low
wattage (no, I don't remember, but if you need to know I can look it up when I return to our shop on Monday) and has a very
small round point just about the shape of a sharpened pencil. Quick and easy.

-- ddf