informal survey

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Sat, 27 Dec 1997 15:17:01 -0600 (CST)

Hi Guy,

I'd pretty much second what Jim Bryant said, adding the feel of the action
and regulation to the criteria. The overall sound and response have the
first priority, then the shiny parts. Too many rebuilders do what shows
instead of what works. Do both if the budget allows, but trim back, starting
with the visual frills.

I also consider the addition of tuning pin bushings to pianos that were
designed without them to be correction of a tragic birth defect. I can still
see Bill Garlick's face when I mentioned this little tidbit to him at a
Steinway factory seminar years back when he was employed there. I hope he's
OK. I also remember the "Circle of Sound" lecture that followed. <G>

Re prejudging: You bet!

Scenario 1, The dealer rebuilt Steinway:
Beautiful case finish, perfect plate finish, high gloss soundboard, extreme
bearing in treble, negative crown in high tenor, 4/0 tuning pins, new
hammers on original action, front keypins turned to simulate good bushings.
Sounds bad, tunes poorly, wild strings, pins riding plate, poor tuning
stability. Very nasty.

Scenario 2: Rebuild by someone I know to do good work:
Pretty job, new parts, nice sound, feels good, tunes clean, everyone wins.

 Ron Nossaman