informal survey

Danny Moore danmoore@ih2000.net
Sun, 28 Dec 1997 01:30:50 -0600

Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

> >         What ticks you off the most?
> Pianos that are advertised as "completely rebuilt/restored/remanufactured/etc. that still have original
> wippens/hammershanks/pinblocks/soundboards/etc.

Del,
Maybe this is the type of standardization that Guy is suggesting we implement.  For example, the words "remanufactured" and
"rebuilt" represent TO ME literally replacing all parts that can wear and ultimately fail due to age, stress, use, etc.  On the
other hand, when I hear "restored" I think of putting it back a closely as possible to its original condition.  The rebuilt
instrument should have new action parts, whips, flanges, etc.  The restored instrument should have its original action parts -
perhaps re-bushed, re-pinned and all new felt & buckskin, but the parts should be original.  There are many "restorers" of
vintage instruments who insist that the original tuning pins must be used in a new or repaired block.  The focus is on original
equipment.

I know it's a matter of semantics, but I'll bet we all have different definitions of "rebuilt" "restored" "remanufactured"
"reconditioned" etc.

Danny Moore (Houston, TX)