..a salty air question..

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Sun, 28 Dec 1997 10:42:30 -0800 (PST)

At 12:37 PM 12/28/97 -0500, you wrote:
>..recently, I have seen some cloth covers in Grands only..these owners claim
>that a previous tech had suggested the use of this cloth on the strings to
>help protect against the salty air here in Florida..
>
>..this cover just lays on the strings and covers the damper heads..it has
>the appearance of a custom-made cover, and I've seen 3 different colors,
>black, red, and beige..
>
>..I have my doubts as to its effectiveness..
>
>..I wonder what this tech said to the owners of new verticals..probably
>nothing..he probably saw a payday with new Grand owners wanting to *protect*
>their investment..
>
>..anyone care to chime in on this subject?..

Dear Phil,

On the Oregon coast, at least, these seem to work very well, and several
customers with good grands have them. They must be real wool. I hear that
synthetic fabrics actually hold the moisture against the strings.

I don't "see a payday", since the cost is fairly high to begin with, and a
big markup would keep some people from buying them. I pass them on with only
a minimal profit, because I like to see the pianos protected. (Well, it's
one way of doing it ...)

The only drawback I've encountered was one day when I took one off and found
a fresh mouse dropping under it. The cover allowed the little critter to
hide in comfort. We took it off for awhile, trapped the mouse, and then put
it back on.

Years ago I did tune an old upright from back east which had a big box over
the tuning pin area lined with woolen felt about an inch thick. The rest of
the piano was quite rusty and dirty but everything under the box was totally
immaculate, as if fresh from the factory. Has anybody else encountered these
boxes?

Happy New Year

Susan

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370
skline@proaxis.com

"Do you think there's any truth to the rumor that everything is really O.K.?"
			-- Ashleigh Brilliant