Flagpoling pins

Carl Fischer fischerc@nevada.edu
Sun, 28 Dec 1997 14:26:57 +0000

Les Smith Wrote:
Personally, I think it's a GREAT IDEA and would like to see it adopted
UNIVERSALLY. First, maybe we could get OSHA to issue a report that
stated
that piano technicians enjoyed longer, happier, healthier and more
productive lives when they weren't forced to endure the stress caused by
having to deal with the troublesome, flag-poling tuning pins found in
pianos which didn't use plate bushings. Jumping on the band-wagon,
Steinway might then issue a retroactive warranty that would cover every
piano they ever built which didn't have plate bushings. Under terms of
that war-
ranty ALL those pianos could be returned to the factory at Steinway's
expense, where their plates would be drilled out, fitted with plate
bushing and then repinned, restrung and then returned to the owner'e
without any charge whatsoever. Imagine what a great public relations
move it would be to admit their mistake after all these years?!

-----------------
Right on Les,

4 years ago, I rebuilt a Steinway, at the time I was trying to make it
into a hybrid Steinway case and sound board but a Yamaha action.  I
settled with drilling out the plate and installing tuning pin bushings.
It was amazing!  Tuning was so much easier.  Although Les Smith is
correct about Steinway refusing change, it doesn't stop us from changing
the Steinway that comes our way.
--
Carl Fischer, RPT-PTG

mailto:fischerc@nevada.edu

"Madam, you have between your legs an instrument capable of giving
pleasure to thousands--and all you can do is scratch it."   Sir Thomas
Beecham, to an untalented woman cellist.