What is "Flagpoling?"

Kenneth W. Burton kwburton@freenet.calgary.ab.ca
Sun, 28 Dec 1997 05:58:00 -0700 (MST)

	Friends,

	Perhaps enough has been said about flagpoling but I thought I
might clarify a point or two.
	In spite of the fact that a tuning pin is made of good steel and
is relatively thick, it still bends and twists under the approx. 165 pound
pull of a piano string. Not much, mind you, but enough to affect the
precision of tuning. So, as far as the pin is concerned, the goal for the
tuner is to restore the bend and twist which the pin normally experiences.
If we fail to do this, the pin will do it later, under the influence of
the vibrations caused by playing the piano, and the pitch of the string
will fall.
	The tuner pushes, pulls or turns the pin, feeling for the position
of ideal pin torsion and string tension. If he succeeds in finding that
spot, then the pin and string are left in the most stable condition.
	We all know, however, that pin block tightness, v-bar friction,
pin flexibility and string elasticity all conspire to make it very
difficult to find that point of ideal pin torsion and string tension.
	We also know that we are often tempted to push or pull past that
ideal spot to reach a certain pitch and we sometimes yield to that
temptation. This is commonly known as "leaning the pin" or "flagpoling"
and it results in unstable tuning because the perfect balance or torsion
and tension has not been achieved.
	There is also a healthy use of Flagpoling. We all do it and it
works if it is done carefully and not to extremes. If, after we have
pulled the pitch a tad sharp, we push the pin to bring the pitch down to
perfect and, at the same time, we lean the pin toward the speaking length
of the string, this helps restore the proper twist and bend.
	Another healthy use of Flagpoling or Leaning the Pin occurs when
you have extremely tight pins. When making the first clockwise pull on an
upright, if you lean the pin away from the speaking length by pushing the
hammer toward the pin block, you lift the pin away from the lower side of
the hole and reduce the friction slightly. This helps to move the pin but
you must be careful that, on the last move of the hammer, you exert
pressure that will lean the pin toward the speaking length to make sure
it is settled back against the side of the hole. When tuning a grand with
the hammer in the 3 o'clock position, this leaning occurs automatically.
	In my book, Different Strokes, Hammer Techniques For Piano
Technicians, there are descriptions of other uses of Leaning The
Pin.(Shameless promotion!)
	Hope this helps.

	Ken Burton "Doctor Piano" Calgary Alberta