informal/definitions/rerere

Anne Beetem abeetem@wizard.net
Sun, 28 Dec 1997 20:32:30 -0500

>At 08:43 AM 12/28/97 EST, you wrote:

>>4. Restored- Everything as close to original as possible with only original
>>spec parts used for replacement, original finish coatings, etc..  In
>>restoration the refurbishing of original parts is/should be the first
>>alternative (?).  (Stephen, Anne?)
>
>When we were also doing museum restorations of other works, the above
>description fit the bill quite well. Liberties were sometimes taken in
>areas that absolutely couldn't be seen (or avoided), but otherwise "what
>you said".

   Yes, and add to this that any changes/additions/repairs should be easily
reversible (sorry, guys, no CA glue!), and all work documented including
materials and date of change.   Original parts which are replaced need to
be labeled, documented, and preserved.  This includes all the wonderful
surprises such as old coins and bits of old toys or papers found in the
action.   When original specs are not available, the best alternative
should be used and documented.  Duplication of missing parts should be as
close to original as possible.
On the other hand, if parts are too fragile (or too rare so that continued
use may compromise otherwise unavailable historic information) for
continued use, then certainly the original parts should be preserved and
duplicates made.   Complete duplicates of actions have been made for some
of the early 19th century pianos in order to preserve the condition of the
original parts for the sake of history and better duplication.

  There are informational guidelines on this published by CIM-CIM, the
museum conservators association.  You can visit their web page to find more
information.

   In fact, I feel that all piano work should be documented and a copy
given to the owner for posterity.  Who knows, your name could be a matter
of history and inquiry in a hundred years or two.  Del, you really should
get your name and date into those pianos.  Technicians from the 19th
century frequently wrote inside the piano when making repairs or
modifications.  So did the harpsichord technicians from the previous
centuries.  How I love to see their names and dates written in there so
long ago.   It is somewhat traditional to write on the lowest keys, or
otherwise in a hidden but easily accessible place.  When I install
harpsichord soundboards, I write on the underside as a surprise for some
investigator of the future.  You never know!  You could be a minor name in
somebody's thesis someday.

   Speaking of which,  using business cards as shims is another way to
communicate with the future.  I have encountered a good number of Civil War
era business cards in my work, for businesses with no place in the late
twentieth century.  It helps glimpse the world the instrument was born in.

Anne

Anne Beetem
Harpsichords & Historic Pianos
2070 Bingham Ct.