What is "Flagpoling?"

THEOFONE THEOFONE@aol.com
Sun, 28 Dec 1997 23:08:47 EST

for Ken Burton
                    an easy way to correct this"flagpoling" is to tap the top
of the tuning pin with your tuning hammer after you've set it. Try using an
SAT to see the movement. Tapping relives the  inherent torque in the pin and
will eliminate the creep in the tuning. You will see different readings in
different sections of the piano, and it will change from piano to piano, but
once you learn to correct it, it should only be a minor problem. Dont pound on
it, just tap 3-4 times. If you have set it well, movement will be minimal or
nil. But a 4-5 cent change ( sharp OR flat) with a tight block is not unusual
for novices.
                    IMHO there is a different characteristic ton e in pianos
that use bushings as opposed to those that dont. Maybe thats why some do and
some dont.
BTW if I put plate bushings in a Steinway,,, do I still have a Steinway?????
                                                                Theodore Mamel
RPT
                                                                 Pittsburgh
Chapter