informal/definitions/rerere

Danny Moore danmoore@ih2000.net
Sun, 28 Dec 1997 22:40:56 -0600

Jim, Guy, et. al.,

I prety much agree with Jim's definitions, but there's one area that needs
clarification:

> >2. Rebuilt- Using all new parts in the action stack, underlevers as needed,
> >restringing, new pinblock, rebushing, all new felts, along with refinishing
> >case. This work is accomplished using original specs except in certain select
> >instances. (example one should never replace a teflon action with another
> >teflon action :-)

Since you've restrung and refinished the case, replaced the block, you probably had
the plate out and refinished it also.  Since you were down to the soundboard, what
should be done to it?  Is it "repaired" i.e., shims and refinish?  Just basically
cosmetic?  If we agree with Del, then we probably shouldn't "rebuild" the board since
it's already been subjected to compression stress.  Obviously the board is not
pristine if the action is shot, the strings are dead and the pin block is in need of
replacement.

I don't think we agreed whether the soundboard was the heart, the soul or the armpit
of the piano, but it is fundamental to the sound of the beast.  What should be done
when "rebuilding"?

> Whippens are quite often very usable, and even shanks/knuckles sometimes. Meaning, I
> wouldn't expect a significant improvement by replacing them.

Agreed, but then it wouldn't be rebuilt; only partially rebuilt.  We've all seen
plenty of instruments that were sold as "rebuilt" say, 20 years ago.  The customer is
shocked that after a "rebuild" only 20 years ago (this happened to me last week) it
now needs new knuckles, flanges and shanks and whips.  It probably didn't need that
stuff 20 years ago - it was only 20 something then.  Now it's 40 something and it's
all shot.  As I told her, she may have been led to believe that it was rebuilt then,
but, in my opinion, replacing hammers, dampers & bass strings is not the same as a
rebuild - even though it didn't need anything else at that time.

> >5. Recycled- Parts saved where appropiate, parts, case and sounding board
> >used for fire wood and plate used for shop decoration. Perhaps the case could be
> >used for a computer desk...but only if action and plate are destroyed.  :-)
>
> Hahaha! Love it! Talk about a fertile mind!(or is it fertilizer?)

My favorite category!  Probably a lot more belong here that we want to admit.  After
all, we fix things, we don't destroy them.  This is probably why every piano person I
know has an overstuffed storage building full of things we're going to rebuild after
we retire and have more time, right?  (Yeah, I'm at the head of the list on that one!)

Danny Moore (TX)