informal survey

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Sun, 28 Dec 1997 23:11:16 -0800

JIMRPT wrote:

> 1. Reconditioned- using mostly all old parts and replacing only severly
> worn/hard felts, leathers, corroded metal pieces, along with severe cleaning
> and/or sandblasting.
>
> 2. Rebuilt- Using all new parts in the action stack, underlevers as needed,
> restringing, new pinblock, rebushing, all new felts, along with refinishing
> case. This work is accomplished using original specs except in certain select
> instances. (example one should never replace a teflon action with another
> teflon action :-)
>
> 3. Remanufactured- 'Everything' but case, and case parts, is tossed out with
> the possible exception of the keyframe, but including soundboard and bridges.
> Alterations may be made in original specs with the goal of improving
> performance and sound. (example-rescaling). All new hardware, pinblock, sound
> board, bridges, keys, underlevers, action parts, damper heads, etc.
>
> 4. Restored- Everything as close to original as possible with only original
> spec parts used for replacement, original finish coatings, etc..  In
> restoration the refurbishing of original parts is/should be the first
> alternative (?).  (Stephen, Anne?)
>
> 5. Recycled- Parts saved where appropiate, parts, case and sounding board used
> for fire wood and plate used for shop decoration. Perhaps the case could be
> used for a computer desk...but only if action and plate are destroyed.  :-)

Jim,

Thanks for suggesting the above 4 categories with definitions (assuming
that #5 was for extra credit?);-)  Reminds me about the PTG Technical
Bulletin #6 which discusses rebuilding and reconditioning rather
thoroughly but, I think, restoring is a very different thing and a
necessary addition and rebuilding/reconditioning deserves to be further
divided as you did.

One thing I'd like to add to the conversation is: to educate the public
about these definitions. How many times have we heard piano owners state
and believe that their piano is "rebuilt" when, in fact, it has new
bridle tapes and the "pads" were replaced (the ones that buzzed)? Did
the technician actually say he/she rebuilt it? Maybe, but in many or
most cases, my guess is the owner has interpreted the tech's words
(Like, how many of us replace "the pads"? Do piano owners get together
in piano user groups and talk about their "pads"? I hope someone can
fill me in on the etymology).

Since the purpose of Tech Bulletin #6 is to educate the piano-owning
public, I propose that it be rewritten to include the more precise
definitions and that we, need I say it, distribute same to all our
customers.

Also, I'd like to suggest another category - partially reconditioned.
Whether a piano is reconditioned by someone who specializes in bridal
tape and pad replacement but demurs at key rebushing or, because of
budgetary constraints, an abbreviated refurbishing is asked for, I vote
for this additional category.

Tom

--
Thomas A. Cole RPT