informal/definitions/rerere

Danny Moore danmoore@ih2000.net
Mon, 29 Dec 1997 01:19:39 -0600

JIMRPT wrote:

> Danny;
>   Why do you do this to me ? :-)

Because it's so easy . . .

> My criteria for soundboards:
> 1. Does it have crown ?
> 2. Does it have a reasonably good sustain time ?
> 3. Can any cracks/splits/rib seperations be repaired ?
> 4. Can it be refinished with no stains and without using chemicals  other than
>    finishing materials?
>   If the answer to these four is yes than by all means use the old board. Any
> no answers need to be investigated on a case by case basis to determine where
> the actual problem obtains.

OK, I agree with your criteria, BUT . . .

>   As to Del's comments re: boards I will defer to his greater experience but I
> don't think he said that any board that goes into compression stress needs to
> be replaced...did he?

Actually, I think he said that compression crowned boards, by their very nature,
were already damaged.  The wood fibers had been crushed by the crowning process
(the same process I was taught for re-building soundboards) and they would never
let the piano sound as good as it could, especially after they had been in this
condition for 47 or 82 years.

I really think the real deal at this point is honesty and ethical behavior.  I've
never heard of a Heniztman, but I'll bet it doesn't have either the quality or
resale value of a M&H or S&S.  So, if it's worth, say, $5,000 on a good day, one
probably shouldn't convince the customer it's worth spending $22,500 for a
complete rebuild.

So, if you play a piano with a rebuilt soundboard in the forrest, but there's no
one there to hear . . . . . .

Danny Moore (TX)