terms

pianoman pianoman@inlink.com
Mon, 29 Dec 1997 07:00:18 -0600

Dear group,
		I am one of those who do not favour using terms like re-build,
re-condition, re- manufacture.  Why can't we just use the term "repair" and
"replaced" the parts that you have re-paired or re-placed the same piece of
paper.  A short list follows with what you have actually done.  That way,
in another 10 years from now when something else is worn out you won't get
the complaint, "Oh, I thought you completely did the whole piano".  They,
and you, will have the list of things you have actually done, no more no
less.
	I would contend that the real culprit is the client though.  They like to
embellish whatever you have done to their friends and themselves.
	On the matter of "is it a Steinway if Joe Blow replaced some parts on it"
I would think that technically not.  I "believe" that it becomes a Steinway
with Joe Blows work on it and the better Joe Blow is the more it stays
Steinway and the less "Joe Blow".  Just my opinion.

James Grebe
R.P.T. from St. Louis
pianoman@inlink.com
"I am a better tuner now than  ever  before"