informal/definitions/rerere

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Mon, 29 Dec 1997 11:07:05 -0600 (CST)

Hi Jim,

Here is something I've wondered about for a long time, and it's come up in
list discussions in the past. I, personally, don't believe the rim
configuration has a lot to do with maintaining crown in a soundboard. That's
the ribs' job. While the rim material, bracing, etc.  seems to have a whole
lot to do with sound production, I can't buy the premise that boards go flat
from rim spread, or glue joint failure at the rim. I'd like to see this
cleared up one way or the other if anyone has any real evidence. If I'm
wrong, correct me... please, but it's something all of us need to get straight.

Other than that, you're defending your definitions very well. Soon, we'll
have a fourteen volume set of exceptions and specific qualifiers determining
the twelve hundred and sixty nine ranking categories of piano
reconstructionization. %-) Give 'em ... er, ... heck.

>... I noticed that part of the board was unattached to the rim.  Further
>investigation revealed that the board was unglued aprox. 3/4 of the way around
>the inner rim. [Now this board still had crown...go figure.]
>>Jim Bryant (FL)

 Ron Nossaman