To Bush, Perchance to Dream

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Mon, 29 Dec 1997 11:07:03 -0600 (CST)

Hi Theodore, some comments.

> ------- snip ----------
>                    IMHO there is a different characteristic ton e in pianos
>that use bushings as opposed to those that dont. Maybe thats why some do and
>some dont.

It is my belief that it is wildly unlikely that TP bushings could affect
tone production (all due respect to Bill Garlick). If the string bearing
points and understring felts between the bridge pin and the tuning pin
haven't killed all the string vibrations that would make any audible
difference by the time they got to the TPs, something isn't working right in
the first place. I would assume, rather, that the characteristic sound of a
specific piano is due more to the choice of rim materials and construction,
bracing placement, soundboard and rib configuration, string and duplex
scaling, hammer choice, etc. I don't believe anyone could pick a plate
bushed Steinway or Baldwin from a room full of standard product by sound
alone (except, perhaps by the cleaner tuning <G>). I've said the same about
horizontally laminated bridges for some years too.

>BTW if I put plate bushings in a Steinway,,, do I still have a Steinway?????
>                                                                Theodore Mamel
>RPT
>                                                                 Pittsburgh
>Chapter

You bet you do! You've got a new, improved Steinway, and everyone else could
too with a little work. JMHO

Ducking and covering,
 Ron Nossaman