informal survey

Wed, 31 Dec 1997 07:34:54 -0800

JIMRPT wrote:

> ...... Which brings me to a question for Del, i.e. Why a new plate for a Killer
> 'B'?...inquiring minds want to know .
> Jim Bryant (FL)

I can take care of the treble and killer octave region by simply designing and making a new tenor/treble bridge. (Well, the
plate, soundboard and ribs all get massaged a bit.) But the bass/tenor cross-over is still a problem, as is the whole bass
section. It's not that the bass on the standard B is so bad -- it's not -- it's just that it could be so much better.
Compared to the performance of the new tenor and treble sections, this is now the weak area of the piano. I can improve both
with some subtle redesign of the stringing scale and the soundboard, but more is possible. Sadly, it would take more changes
to the plate than are possible with an existing plate casting. The modifications to the pattern would be fairly nominal, but
the acoustic results would be substantial. Ah, well . . .

Del