informal survey

Wed, 31 Dec 1997 07:48:56 -0800

Tom Cole wrote:

> Jim,
>
> Thanks for suggesting the above 4 categories with definitions (assuming
> that #5 was for extra credit?);-)  Reminds me about the PTG Technical
> Bulletin #6 which discusses rebuilding and reconditioning rather
> thoroughly but, I think, restoring is a very different thing and a
> necessary addition and rebuilding/reconditioning deserves to be further
> divided as you did.

It also doesn't go into the concept of remanufacturing, which is what we do mostly. For that reason we find it to be of
little value. It is otherwise well written and should be of use to most piano rebuilders.

> One thing I'd like to add to the conversation is: to educate the public
> about these definitions. How many times have we heard piano owners state
> and believe that their piano is "rebuilt" when, in fact, it has new
> bridle tapes and the "pads" were replaced (the ones that buzzed)? Did
> the technician actually say he/she rebuilt it? Maybe, but in many or
> most cases, my guess is the owner has interpreted the tech's words
> (Like, how many of us replace "the pads"? Do piano owners get together
> in piano user groups and talk about their "pads"? I hope someone can
> fill me in on the etymology).

Actually I have heard some "old timers" refer to hammers as "pads." The first time I heard the word applied to hammers --
there were hammer pads and damper pads -- was in a PTG Chapter meeting many long years ago. It was some time before I learned
that this was an inappropriate name for hammers.

> Since the purpose of Tech Bulletin #6 is to educate the piano-owning
> public, I propose that it be rewritten to include the more precise
> definitions and that we, need I say it, distribute same to all our
> customers.
>
> Also, I'd like to suggest another category - partially reconditioned.
> Whether a piano is reconditioned by someone who specializes in bridal
> tape and pad replacement but demurs at key rebushing or, because of
> budgetary constraints, an abbreviated refurbishing is asked for, I vote
> for this additional category.
>
> Tom
>
> --
> Thomas A. Cole RPT
> cole@cruzio.com
> Santa Cruz, CA

Do you really think this should be another category? Where does one cross the line from simply repairing a problem, or even a
few problems, found in a piano to a "category" of repairs?