informal/definitions/rerere

Nelson and Tracy Denton ndenton434@bigwave.ca
Wed, 31 Dec 1997 12:21:06

Snipage. . .
>> Hi Danny:
>>
>> in your last remark you mentioned that you had never heard of a
>> Heiniztman.or however del mis-spelled it originally. I'm sure he meant
>> Heintzman which is the Steinway of Canada, and well worth rebuilding.
>>
>> Jim Coleman, Sr.
>
>I'm glad to see someone putting in a good word for old Theodore's com-
>pany, since he isn't around to speak for himself. :) If he was, he might
>mentioned that he worked in the Steinway factories back in the early days,
>before setting up shop for himself. Further, it's obvious that he kept his
>eyes and ears open while working there, because you can see Steinway in-
>fluences in his early pianos--especially the uprights. Although they
>survived until relatively recently, they're now gone, just like almost
>everyone else. It's a sobering thing to leaf through your piano atlas and
>see how many companies are no longer with us and how little remains of
>what used to be. In 1910 the US _alone_ sold almost twice as many pianos
>as were sold world-wide last year. ;(
>
>Les Smith
>lessmith@buffnet.net

It should be pointed out that there were TWO Heintzman Companies in Canada.

Heintzman and Company       (Theodor August Heintzmann aka Theodore
Heintzman  1817-1899)

Apprenticed under Grunow in Germany, married boss's daughter
Moved to New York in 1850
Appears to have  worked along with with H. Steinway at "Lighte and Newton"
NY NY
Joined  "Keogh Piano Company"  Buffalo N.Y.around 1856
Jounded own company "Drew, Heintzmann and Annowski" 1857
Joined "Western Piano Manufactury of Canada" Hamilton Ontario 1858
Built his own design of  piano's in his spare time.
Opened own company in 1866 Toronto
produced hundreds of  pianos a year for over 120 years
(3000 in 1922)
serial numbers list 160,000 pianos produced ( probably slightly less produced)
Company folded in 1980's

Gerhard Heintzman Company

Nephew of Theodore
started own company in 1881 Toronto
Built about 40,000 pianos from 1881 to 1926

Not as good a manufacturer as Theodore's Pianos

name used by "Quidoz" on pianos from 1955-1959

***  Notes from "Downright Upright" by Wayne Kelly

Nelson E. Denton
R. A. Denton and Son
Pipe Organ Builders
Hamilton Ontario Canada