moving a Stienway Grand

Newton Hunt nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu
Fri, 31 Jan 1997 20:48:55 -0500

In the auditorium at NYU music building there is an hydrolic lift that has a
high roll off weight capacity.  It is used to raise and lover a D because there
is no space backstage and the stage is needed for other events.

I was responsible for its installation some thirty years ago and presumably is
still there and still working.  This lift has a steel skirt around three sides
to preven the piano rolling off and I had to cut this skirt to all full removal
of the piano because the pedals hit the skirt.  All I had at the time was a
single hacksaw blade and no holder.  Talk about sore hands.

Go have a look at this piece because I do no remember all the details.

	Newton
	nhunt@jagat.com