A Test Question

Warren Fisher fish@communique.net
Sun, 02 Feb 1997 08:58:47 -0800

You are tuning for a regular customer whose piano is medium to good and
you are about half way through and are rushing to avoid being late to a
dental appointment afterwards when you discover several hammers warped
enough by humidity or whatever to be missing one of the strings.
Do you:
1. Ignore the situation?  If not, why not?
2. Tune the unstruck string, and if so how?
3. Align the hammer, and if so is this enough?
4. Twist the shank.  Is this all that needs to be done?
5. Travel the hammer.  How is this different from Aligning?
6. Reshape the hammer.  Why would this be necessary?
7. Throw up your hands in frustration.  (My choice for a lot of
situations)
8. All of the above?
9. Choose your own numbers or add some.

This list gets into areas that I'm sure some of the newer technicians
have a hard time understanding because they don't have the basic
knowledge yet.  I suggest that discussions like the above may be very
helpful to them.

Sincerely,

Warren
--