Perfect tuning

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Sun, 02 Feb 1997 12:30:55 -0500 (EST)

>There seems to be a lot of discussion about who tunes better, etc.  I think
>in truth we need to determine just what makes one tuning better than
>another.
>
>Would someone define the perfect piano tuning?
>

>Del Gittinger,  RPT

IMHO, there is not such thing as a "perfect piano tuning" because the piano
is not a perfect instrument. All we can do, as piano tuners, is make the
instrument sound muscially as pleasant as it can. And even between two
different people, whether they are piano tuners or not, that discription has
its flaws, because two people do not hear the same sounds indentical. The
bottom line is the only thing we can do is agree on what compromise sounds
the best to as many people as possible.

Willem Blees, RPT
St. Louis