Subj: Reajusting pitch question

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Sun, 02 Feb 1997 10:55:14 -0500 (EST)

Michel Lachance writes;

>>The problem I see with the offset-tuning is that you cannot accurately
>>proceed a pitch-raise with it, or tell me if I am wrong.  If I intend
>>to pitch raise, the reference the SAT will rely on will be the stored
>>tuning and not the offset tuning.

      Michel,  I wonder if what you want to do is to plug your offset in
BEFORE you put an FAC tuning into memory.  This way, your tuning is stored at
the offset, and your pitchraise calculator will make all the necessary
correction to raise or lower pitch to the offset standard.
     I have 6 cent offset tunings, (both sharp and flat), for all the sizes
of Steinways I maintain.  Where the situation does not demand A-440,  I find
stability is greatly enhanced by letting the pianos  live 6 cents sharp in
the summer, and 6 cents flat in the winter.  These limits usually allow the
bass strings not to be tuned down much in the high humidity season.  The
tunings really stay together better when they are not cranked up and down
twice a year.
     When a person buys a SAT,  they should get all the memory they can,
 there are all sorts of things that can be done with it.  ( like 5 or six
well-temperaments for all the usual grands that one tunes?)

Regards,
Ed Foote
Precision Piano Works
Nashville, Tn