Perfect fifths temperament (was Perfect Tuning)

Niklas Eliasson e96nikel@isy.liu.se
Mon, 03 Feb 1997 16:57:59 +0100

Michel Lachance wrote:
>  ...  Yes, it gives
> quite sounding fifths but the harshnes of the major thirds spoils the
> soup.
>
> But there is a hidden flaw in that system when you try to tune each
> fundamental to its theoratical value.  It doesn't take into account
> the inharmonicity.  Perfect fifths are stretched fifths which means
> over stretched octaves and major thirds that almost beat like minor
> thirds.  I think there is no way out for this interesting but
> unapplicable system.
>
> Michel Lachance, RPT

Indeed, but we shouldnt mix things up. The inharmonicity is one thing,
related to the specific instrument, and the way we set up an octave is
another! If you do perfect fifths, you end up a quarter of o tone higher
when you 'land'. If you make an octave by putting three major thirds
together, you will end up about a quarter low. This is indeed true in
theory. What one did in the early days, was to make some keys more
perfect than others - the price to pay was that some other keys were
really bad. Of course, you can always find methods in between, which
are different from equal temp, and still playable, so to speak.

Best regards

Niklas Eliasson

pianotech
Linkoping, Sweden