Perfect fifths...

Niklas Eliasson e96nikel@isy.liu.se
Mon, 03 Feb 1997 18:00:28 +0100

Wimblees@aol.com wrote:

> IMHO, there is not such thing as a "perfect piano tuning" because the
> piano is not a perfect instrument....

Just to complete wat I wrote I before - I agree that the piano is
not a "perfect" instrument, but so is no instrument where you want
to play in all the keys we have. The temperament has, in itself, really
nothing to do with the instruments, but with the way we choose to
define an octave. With 12 notes in an octave, we can not be fair. This
is something that already the old greeks saw...

I am talking about music scale theory now. As we all know, temperaments
must vary from instrument to instrument, because of different dimensions
of the strings, etc. But thats another discussion. And yes, I know,
thats probably what this subject was about in the first place...

Regards

Niklas Eliasson
pianotech, Linkoping, Sweden