Perfect fifths temperament (was Perfect Tuning)

KTorres280@aol.com KTorres280@aol.com
Mon, 03 Feb 1997 12:02:13 -0500 (EST)

This sounds similar to a book by J. Cree Fischer (I hope I have his name
correct) in which a temperament can be set using only fifths. However, the
end result is supposed to be the same as with other standard methods. I have
tried this method without much success however. Another tuner I know used to
set his temperament with just fourths and fifths, not using thirds and other
checks at all. He was an excellent tuner but could not explain how he did it,
and he didn't even know what I meant when I asked him about the speed of the
beats in thirds and such...a technician from Russia taught him. But he sure
knew how to make even the worst pianos sound great!