moving a Stienway Grand

McNeilTom@aol.com McNeilTom@aol.com
Mon, 03 Feb 1997 12:39:06 -0500 (EST)

Stephen Dove, and List:

When I was with the State University of New York, Fredonia School of Music,
we had two S&S Ds and a ten-foot harpsichord that lived on the recital hall
stage.  When the an addition was made to the building, the stage was left as
an "island" with no loading dock, no handicapper ramp, and only tiny stairs
in corners precluding their use for moving anything larger than a 'cello.

To solve the occassional moving dilemma, I installed a "sky hook" in the
rafters of the building, above the ceiling and in line with the edge of the
stage.  When it was time, I'd lower a length of 3/8" chain through a small
hole left in the ceiling and lined with a piece of pipe.  From the chain I'd
hang a one-ton chain hoist.  I would then remove the lid from a concert grand
and tie three nylon web slings to the plate.  I'd use these to lift the
piano.  I'd have a couple helpers on hand to control the "swing" of the
piano.  Since my "sky hook" was over the edge of the stage, the piano would
have to be "swung" about three feet one way or the other to go onto or off
the stage.  This was not difficult, and seemed very safe for the pianos and
personnel.

This solution was too tedious for frequent moves, but served us well for the
once- or twice-yearly needs of that hall.

  -     Tom McNeil, RPT     -
Vermont Piano Restorations