Painted keys

Barrie Heaton Piano@forte.airtime.co.uk
Mon, 03 Feb 1997 18:13:06 +0000

dEAR jERE,

The easiest and safest way to do it, is scrape the paint off with a very
sharp blade.  I use Stanley blades that's a trade mark name for a
particular type of disposalable blade used in the U.K.   You probably
have a different name for them in the U.S.  rough description a pyramid
with the top cut off.  I use one blade for about six keys and through
the blade away.  The reason for this is, the edge of the blade becomes
jagged and you will scour small grooves in to your ivory and make life
harder later on.  Once the paint is removed sand the ivories down using
a finer coarse paper until a smooth as a babys bottom.  Buff them up on
a buffing wheel with soap.

I would place the individual keys in a vice for the scraping.  To speed
the job up.... If you make a key tray, that is a piece of hard board
with a half inch lip all the way round large enough to take a full set
of keys.  Remove the sharps and put them to one side.  With your keys in
your key tray you can use an electric sander to speed the job up.
However, it is better to do the finial sanding by hand.  The other
advantage of having a key tray is you can move things off your bench
and stack them on racks quickly.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Barrie.

In article <199702030511.XAA09098@minot.ndak.net>, jere fryett
<jfryett@minot.ndak.net> writes

--

Barrie Heaton                                  |  Be Environmentally Friendly
The UK PIano Page                              |