Perfect fifths temperament (was Perfect Tuning)

FirTree@aol.com FirTree@aol.com
Mon, 03 Feb 1997 20:57:46 -0500 (EST)

To blend two discussions together -

When we were talking about PTG selling mailing lists, it seemed I remembered
a lot of us getting a mailer from the guy who wrote the book on "perfect
fifth" tuning. I wondered aloud why the guild would provide a list to such a
guy (which, apparently, they did not). Another member of our chapter put it
best. "It's not my problem that he never heard of Pythagoras!"

Dave Stocker, RPT
firtree@aol.com
Tumwater, WA

<< But there is a hidden flaw in that system when you try to tune each
 fundamental to its theoratical value.  It doesn't take into account
 the inharmonicity.  Perfect fifths are stretched fifths which means
 over stretched octaves and major thirds that almost beat like minor
 thirds.  I think there is no way out for this interesting but
 unapplicable system.

 Michel Lachance, RPT