[Fwd: Bosendorfer over Oriental]

Mon, 03 Feb 1997 18:02:00 -0800

Rob,

I have had several clients with similar problems over the years.  One
solution which has worked well in various setting is the Lexan you suggest,
but cut such that one piece sits under all three legs and most of the
belly.  A second (more easily replacable when scarred or broken) piece may
be cut to fit under the pedal box and thence under the bench, as required.
Also, depending on the thickness of the Lexan, and whether or not the piano
has locking casters, a set of "castor cups" can be built up in appropriate
locations.

In the San Francisco area, we have several plastics stores which will, for
a price, do this cutting.  They will also do rounding of corners and
beveling of edges...

Good luck!

Best.

Horace

At 04:45 AM 2/2/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 21:47:03 -0500
>From: Rob & Karen Loomis <rkloomis@shaysnet.com>
>To: LISTSERV@BYU.EDU
>Subject: Bosendorfer over Oriental
>
>Dear List,
>	A pianist wants to place a Bosendorfer 225 (7' 4")  grand on top of a
>fine oriental rug for acoustic and aesthetic reasons. Because the rug is
>beautiful, it wants to be seen as completely as possible and be
>undamaged as much as possible (with 720+ lbs. sitting on it). To this
>end, it was thought that perhaps squares of Lexan under the casters and
>a 26"X38" rectangle under the artist's bench and pedals might fit the
>bill. Does any one have experience with this situation? Advise?
>	Thanks very much.
>
>Rob Loomis
>Stringed Instrument Restoration Services
>15 River Rd., W. Leyden, MA 01337
>413 624 3902

Horace Greeley

"We learn from history that we learn nothing from history"

			- George Bernard Shaw

Stanford University
email: hgreeley@leland.stanford.edu
voice mail: 415.725.9062