Steinway Wippens -Reply

David Graham U40DCG1@WPO.CSO.NIU.EDU
Mon, 03 Feb 1997 21:53:03 -0600

Avery: I've probably installed 50 or 60 sets of these wippens in the last
several years, and have found them to be very reliable , EXCEPT for a
few sets 4-5 years ago that had wandering center pins that don't seem
to want to stay put.  They do seem to squeak  or rattle a bit more,but no
pianist has ever complained about it.  Expect to have to do a little more
flange screw retightening than with S&S parts, but the extra adjustability
of the spring makes up for the little bit of other extra work.  They are also
very consistent, although the last set of factory wippens  I used (3 years
ago) was also much better than in the past.  The Renner wippens also
cost a bit less, which helps the school budget.
David Graham
Northern Illinois University