Perfect fifths temperament (was Perfect Tuning) <Pine.PMDF.3.91.970203183229.539394315A-100000@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu>

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Mon, 03 Feb 1997 23:07:35 -0700 (MST)

My Dear Kuang:

I am greatly interested in your propositions of tuning by 5ths. I
used to use the J Cree Fischer method in 1946, so I am a bit familiar
with it.  In your explanation below, you mention tuning your first 5
notes A, D, G, C and F.  Unless you are tuning some intervening octaves,
I fail to see how you have a minor A-C 10th or a Maj F-A 10th.  Yes, by
tuning the octaves of each of these notes, you can have these two 10ths
available, but that means that you have tuned about 9 notes instead of
just 5.  The first problem I see in this is that you are more than half
through a normal temperament system before you have a check.  The second
problem I see is that you give us no beat rates for those two checks.
The third problem I see is that in using intervening octaves for which
you have no indication of how you gauge the width of the octaves, there
could be an accumulation of errors in the octaves.

Could you give us a little more detail on how you solve these problems,
especially the last one?

Could you give us the note numbers of the notes you tune so that we can
tell which F-A 10th is compared to which A-C minor 10th?

Jim Coleman, Sr.

PS I really am interested in learning about perfect 5th temperaments at
the expense of widening the octaves, for I think this is the next
generation approach.  Oops, I've come out of the closet on this one.
Already I am stretching my initial octaves enough to make ALMOST pure
5ths. Please understand that I'm not trying to be critical of you.  I
should be able to learn something from anyone. JWC