Drop Action Removal

Eric Leatha tunrboy@teleport.com
Mon, 03 Feb 1997 22:30:21 -0800

>     Dear List,
>
>     What is the most efficient method to remove drop actions?
>
>     I have used a chinese jump rope, weaving it in and out, to hold the
>     drop stickers up.  I've also tried coat hangers, strategically bent to
>     hold up the drop stickers.  But my methods seem to take too much time.
>
>     I've noticed a gizmo sold through APSCO that one permanently attaches
>     to the front of the hammer rest rail, but I hesitate gluing or
>     attaching "things" to my clients pianos - and does this thing really
>     work?
>
>     If anyone has the answer, I'd love to hear it.
>
>     Thanks!
>
>     John Piesik, RPT
>     Piesik's Piano Service
>     Carlsbad, CA
>     JPIESIK@ARINC.COM
>
>     "Spinets are pianos, too!"

On Wurlitzer and Baldwins, there are little ledges at the end of each
action bracket.  Luckily, the sticks which tie down most Korean and
Japanese grand actions upon their delivery to dealerships are the precise
size to snap right into the ledge and are the exact length to capture all
stickers.  I carry three in my trunk at all times.  I also have about forty
laying around in a corner in the shop.
On Acrosonics with drop action levers, one can use a damper head with set
screw to maintain the rail's placement over the abstracts.  Simply loosen
the screws on the hold down brackets for the abstract rail, push rail down
so as much of the abstract pin is showing, place a damper head (round one
are the best) in each section (bass, tenor, treble, high treble) and
tighten.  Continue as you would any other action only being careful not to
let the rail and abstracts drop forward.  That technique works quite well.

On all other spinets I use piano wire tied around each action bracket and
strung across much as I believe you were achieving with the clotheshanger
method.  Better yet, don't pull the action, smile and pretend not to speak
english.  I find this works best when working on spinets.

Eric Leatha, RPT
Portland, OR
tunrboy@teleport.com
"The Buddha, the Godhead, is just as at home in the circuits of a computer
or the action of piano as on the top of a mountain or the petals of a Lotus
flower."
-Robert Persig (freely interpreted by undersigned)